WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

ah yes now i remember....


I tell you ladies, I think we were down this road once before, and as I read the comment from Oregon, it clicked, yes this is in fact, a lace curtain stretcher. Ladies used to wash then starch the hand made lace curtains (I am thinking any euro-american heritage, usa 1940's?) and would then bring the "life" back into the curtain by drying it on these stretchers. I believe that the Maid of Honor stretcher was marketed by Sears and Robuck but I am not certain of that or the year(s).

In all fairness, however, necessity being the mother of all inventions, I am sure some must have converted this to use as a quilt frame ("ouch!") by tipping it horizontally or tableing it somehow. As a stretcher it would be some trick to stand there and quilt in its original standing easle manner. The tiny pins are numerous, and somewhat sharp, set every inch 94x 56.

I include the photo from ebay here, my apologies to Eric as the link seems to go "off" the format on this page.
Katie

3 Comments:

  • At February 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM , Blogger blocke Oregon said...

    Hey Katie, I forgot about the Faultless starch, but our lace curtains weren't of the hand made variety. They probably came from Sears along with the stretchers. But I think our chenille bedspreads were hand made...go figure.

     
  • At November 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is a "Maid of Honor" Curtain Stretcher, probably model no. 05731. I have one with the instructions and box. On the bottom of the instruction sheet it says "Maid of Honor Housewares are sold only by Sears, Roebuck and Co. so you are correct - it is Sears. Does anyone know the year these were produced? Thanks

     
  • At February 22, 2012 at 9:57 AM , Anonymous Patrick O'Byrne said...

    How much are those worth? I found these in my attic. Please let me know thanks. obyrneart@yayhho.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home