WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Welcome to all!

Jan 31st.


I had the good intention of welcoming each new poster but it's gaining momentum so quickly that's not possible. So, a combined very warm welcome to everyone, "newbies" and "oldies" both. Every one's contribution is equally as valuable, so I hope everyone will join in. I am certainly thoroughly enjoying everything here, especially the pictures.

I first joined the original BB in Dec. of '97 and loved it very much for many years, then decided several months ago the friction was becoming much too toxic and it was best for me personally to stay away from something that was irritating me every day. I think this new format is just what we needed. It never fails to amaze me how Sue and Eric still continue to be gracious and helpful through all the difficulties and slights that have been indicated their way.

I am sure we will all honour the defined areas and stop general chatting here once the new page is up and running, and respect this as a quilting related forum only.

Speaking of which, I have mentioned that I am trying to learn MQing. I am still only in the practice stage, but progressing a little more each day. I haven't exactly taken the leap of faith to work on a "real" quilt yet. My practice pieces are 24" sq kitty quilts for my local shelter. Over the weekend I watched a Ricky Tims video and saw some great tips. One of which was to practice doing wreath like configurations, and instead of going back over the same line of stitching, to small stipple some of your background to get back to begin the next loop. At the same time I remember reading some time back about using that new Press Seal food wrap to use as a guideline pattern. Suitably impressed I decided today to incorporate both features! Did I ever mention that I am a door to door salesman's dream come true? I would buy a bag of snow, despite the fact there is a ton of it in my own backyard!

No need for the fine details, but suffice to say that the Press 'N Seal works great! On large areas! Just don't small stipple on it because it doesn't come off, and isn't water soluble. Not that it claims to be. Just ask me how I know all this new found knowledge. LOL

I now own a pretty, stipple quilted, Press 'N Seal encrusted duster! Just need to find the time to dust now!

Keep posting ladies, even the lurkers could come out and say hello to us.

Celia in NB

3 Comments:

  • At February 1, 2007 at 3:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What was that about the press and seal being good for machine quilting?

     
  • At February 1, 2007 at 9:41 PM , Blogger Celia in NB said...

    Milli, it sticks to your fabric and then you can draw a pattern on it and MQ over it. Then it tears away (if you don't do a very small pattern as per my post, then it doesn't. lol) I did a large feathered wreath with it and it turned out great. I used a permanent black Sharpie fine point for marking the pattern onto the Press 'N Seal.

    Celia

     
  • At February 3, 2007 at 6:25 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Just be sure if you are marking the Press n Seal that you have something under it (like a paper grocery bag) to absorb an extra ink from whatever marker you are using. Some people have tried marking with the Press n Seal on the fabric and the permanent ink has gone through. Just a thought...Lavinia-TN

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home