WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Help - my quilt faded!

I'm hoping someone can help me out here.....about 7 years ago I made a queen-size stack&whack quilt using dark reds as background and a floral print with a cream background for the stars. I pre-washed all my fabric. Now, 7 years later, I decided I needed to wash this quilt, which has been living on my bed. (I've tossed it in the dryer on "air" numerous times but never really washed it). So I put it in the bathtub and used a mild shampoo with cold water. The water looked like a scene from Psycho! But I didn't realize until I hung it outside to dry that the red bled into the cream background................and not, mysteriously, onto the bleached muslin I used for backing! It's not hideous, but I sure would like to have that light background in my stars back again. Right now it's kind of a light-medium pinkish color. Is there any way that I could only work with these stars (there are 12 of them, 12" square) to get some of that color out? Thanks! I haven't posted in a while on this board, but I read it all the time and enjoy seeing all the pictures and reading your stories! NancyH

3 Comments:

  • At November 10, 2009 at 1:08 PM , Blogger Yuki said...

    This has happened to me. I washed the quilt a few more times in my oversized washer. If you don't have one, I would take that quilt to that laundromat where they have those industrial sized machines and wash that quilt again on a slow speed. I'm guessing washing the quilt in the tub is not providing anywhere for that excess color to go, so it's going back into the quilt. I'd try again. Good Luck. ttfn :) Yuki

     
  • At November 22, 2009 at 11:40 AM , Blogger Sternenquilter said...

    Hi Nancy, I had that in my recently quilted Log Cabin quilt as well, one of the fabrics bled. I did not let it dry, but put it back in the washing machine with a triple load of good washing powder - in Germany, we have ARIEL or PERSIL COLOR which are the best. That took out all the excess color. I don't know if you can get that over there. Have you ever tried Synthrapol or Retayne - don't know which is the before or after thingie, but if you order it, the site should be able to tell you.
    Good luck!
    Sue in Germany

     
  • At November 22, 2009 at 11:01 PM , Blogger NancyH said...

    Thank you, Sue! I'm going to try washing again - this time in my washer instead of the bathtub so the quilt can move around. I'm going to try Biz first, as suggested in the next post replies. Synthrapol or Retayne may be my next solution if the Biz doesn't work. It's good to know that it happened to someone else also and that it did come out!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home