WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, May 7, 2009

My First Real Quilt from a Real Quilt Book Pattern

My Jacob's Ladder Quilt
Two years ago we added a twin guest bed in my sewing room. This week I pulled a summer weight quilt from the closet, one which I haven't used for such a long time. I don't know why I haven't, for it is one of my favorites. (Don't forget, you can click on the photo for closer views.)

Oh, it's not beautiful in the sense of today's fantastic fabrics and patterns, but I love its simplicity.

I began quilting in the 1970s and the very first Q book that I purchased was Ruby McKim's 101 Patchwork Patterns, originally published by McKim's Studios in 1931. The pattern was simple and the method was to trace the pieces onto cardbord templates. I followed her instructions to a T including her suggestion for colors as I wanted my quilt to look vintage.

If I remember correctly I used flannel for the batt. Also the background was unbleached muslin (as McKim suggested) and you know how wrinkly that gets. So if you click on the quilt you can see the hand quilting doesn't really show up well. There is no pouf from the flannel. And the muslin wrinkles. Still...the quilt is extremely lightweight and perfect for summertime.

The pattern is Jacob's ladder. And you can read more about why I love this quilt on my own blog. (click) You may have to scroll down to the post for May 5.

BTW, Ruby Short McKim's granddaughter has a website where you can view and order many of Ruby's patterns. Go there and browse around, just for the fun of it. The website is called McKim Studios and can be found at http://www.mckimstudios.com/.


WhiteStone
aka JudyPete

Labels:

6 Comments:

  • At May 8, 2009 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    When I inherited my mother's sewing things I inherited that book. I have never used it (not my style of quilting) but I keep it because it has my mom's name written in it. Perhaps someday my granddaughters might develop an interest in those reeeeallly old patterns. :-)

     
  • At May 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM , Blogger Joleen in MN said...

    JudyPete - I checked your blog and plan to bookmark it so I can check it again... I am from western Iowa and thought I saw somewhere on your site that you were also. What town? Joleen in MN

     
  • At May 9, 2009 at 8:04 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Hi, Joleen...we live in western Iowa about halfway between Sioux City and Omaha. Glad to have you visit my blog! Thanks!

     
  • At May 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    I enjoyed your blog Judy.
    Mouth watering to see one of my
    favorite delicasies 1st thing!
    Love those morels.
    We always fried them in butter.
    I can still smell them.
    Haven't had any in probably 30 years.
    We do have them in Oregon, but like you say, the locals are always closed mouth & I guess some places hold some risk for novice pickers.
    Thanks for the memory.

     
  • At May 12, 2009 at 9:45 PM , Blogger tobylehnj said...

    I have this book. It was the first I got back in the late 70's. I made a few from there with cardboard templates as well. I made the Double Weddingring. I didn't know how hard that pattern was supposed to be, but it was one of my first quilts. I still have it.
    Donna, LEH, NJ

     
  • At May 15, 2009 at 8:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What fun it was to read your post. Evidently you and I started quilting on the same page. That was my first book and it's a classic.

    Your blog was very interesting. How great it is to be able to share your thoughts in writing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home