WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Houston Winners

I did a web search and found pictures of the quilts that won in Houston.

http://www.quilts.com/fqf08/enVivo/

Mega-winner Sharon Schamber lives here in Arizona, so she teaches at several seminars around the state. She's a very down-to-earth teacher and unassuming, so her classes are laid-back and almost relaxing (compared to other teachers who often stress me out.) Last July she taught at Quilt Camp in the Pines (northern Arizona) and let us fondle her quilts, including her "Spirit of Mother Earth." She said she had entered it in the Houston show but wasn't sure it would even be accepted. (say whut?)

She hand-dyed the fabrics used in the quilt and spent 14-hour days quilting it on her long-arm machine. Her devoted(!) husband takes care of all the household chores, schedules her classes, and brings her food while she quilts. Even with that kind of help I still don't think I could quilt that many hours a day! She also said she's tired of competing. 8^)

SeamSTRESS Sally

4 Comments:

  • At November 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Sally, I clicked and clicked and clicked but I could not find the winners. Which link am I supposed to be looking for? Some of the garments were fantastic, by the way.

    Judy

     
  • At November 2, 2008 at 3:39 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    I really don't like the busy quilts, although it takes a lot of talent to make them. I liked the crane, Chickadee and the one with the lady and the two boys the best of all the quilts I looked at. LONNA IN WI

     
  • At November 2, 2008 at 4:01 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    I go to the quilts.com/fqf08/enVivo/ page and on the left I see Home and under that I see Classes, On The Show Floor, Selected Special Events. On the right I see Miss Karey's essay and then photos that show up when I click on the items on the left.

    Where do I click to see the winners?

    Judy

     
  • At November 2, 2008 at 5:39 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    I copied & pasted the link to get to the site. To get to the quilts it is the bottom item on the left. I don't think everything showed up on my page--links as the writing ran off the bottom of my screen. But I was able to bring up the quilts that way. I agree about the cranes and the lady with the boys. Some of the art quilts are beautiful, but where is anything traditional? I still like making traditional quilts best. Art quilts should be considered as art, not quilts--in my opinion only, of course. I don't think they should have to compete against each other.

    My 2 cents worth.
    Judy in AR

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home