WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Plaid shirt remembrance quilt

I have been following Bonnie Hunter's blog for some time now. Do check it out. I love her ideas. She does use the 100% cottons but acquired her fabrics via "shirts by the pound" sale at a thrift shop. Bonnie also has a website with free patterns using scrap fabrics - all the leftovers we won't throw away but don't quite know what to do with them. Her patterns are very easy to follow and make good use of scraps. I believe her book is also available through Kansas City Star Quilts. It tells on her blog and website.

I tend to agree with Judy in Ohio about construction of your quilt. In your case it is more important to include the fabrics that the family is familiar with. It will probably be treasured as a keepsake seeing less use and abuse so I wouldn't worry too much about mixing the fabrics. You might want to keep the pattern simple - maybe even squares of I Spy type with sashing forming stars or even sashing representing an interest of your DsF. What I know about Poly/cotton is that it tends to be slippery and totally unforgiving in the "fudging" factor, thus my reason for suggesting easy patterns.
Laura in IA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home