WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Time To Get Busy on a Christmas Gift ....




Wanted to show you that after some dilly-dallying and being sidetracked by other Christmas gift ideas for other people, I am back working on the "Sparkle" quilt gift I am making for my adult daughter. The top has been pieced and I made her come to my house and finish picking the foundation papers off the back ... I could do the "coarse ripping" of foundation papers but she had to do the fine, persnickety tweezer crumb-picking work herself. That way Ms. Fussbudget couldn't claim that she heard papers rustling in her quilt. LOL

Anyway, I wanted you to see how nicely a black flange worked between the print border fabric and the busy-ness of the pieced blocks. I am absolutely no good at making a very narrow pieced border but I can handle the inserted flange just fine for some reason.

DD and I have discussed how I should quilt this thing and she thinks she wants me to stipple quilt the red fabrics in the blocks only .... and perhaps a few stitch-in-the-ditch lines in the black and white areas if needed. She likes the idea that perhaps this couch quilt will be "poofy".
I should mention that my daughter is a quilter and has more or less commanded me as her slave every step of the way on this project. LOL

5 Comments:

  • At September 29, 2008 at 6:18 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    It is really grand!
    I never thought red,white and black would look that good together.
    Good job.
    Be happy your daughter is a quilter. She may be commanding, but she is interested.
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At September 29, 2008 at 8:48 AM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    very striking quilt top. The red sashing "makes" the quilt. I also have a daughter who has certain tastes in decor but she likes my quilts. One year I didn't give her anything for her birthday and she remarked, "No quilt". :0) LONNA IN WI

     
  • At September 29, 2008 at 11:46 AM , Blogger dutchrose said...

    beautious!!! the black flange really does its job to stop the eye before the outer border, it just wouldn't have had the "wow" factor without it.
    as long as those blocks aren't too big, quilting in the red should be enough to hold it together just fine. i recently saw a quilt using polydown batting and there is just the eeentsiest bit more of poof than polyester, might be a good choice for this quilt.
    let us know what you use (and post a picture too) for the finished quilt.
    dutchrose ---{-@

     
  • At September 29, 2008 at 1:22 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    DD's idea for quilting the reds is excellent. Tell her I said so. LOL. And we definitely expect to see an "after" photo.

     
  • At September 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM , Blogger Jill from Portland said...

    Wow, that's really lovely!
    The colors a perfect. Jill

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home