WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thread nests/ a good cleaning?

I don't know if I'm the only one in the world with the thread nest plague or not, but it seems to come up in the Bernina every year. I'm planing to give it a good cleaning in a min. but if anyone has suggestions I'd welcome knowing how to avoid this in the future.
I know I should take it "in" to have it cleaned, but the good person is about 45 min. away and I just don't want to go there on a Saturday.
It started with the decorative stitches, I changed the needle, put in other "good" thread, etc.
Next I'm going to take it all apart and clean it.
So much for national quilting day for me. It's more like national frustration day.
So--I went to a new garden shop and looked around a bit. Nice things! I didn't buy, but want to do another butterfly garden, this time in the front yard.
Hope all have a peaceful weekend free of thread nests.
Sara in Fla.

2 Comments:

  • At March 15, 2008 at 2:31 PM , Blogger judy in ar said...

    One cause of thread nests is that the thread tails are not long enough when you start sewing. You may even have to hold the tails out when you take the first stitch. Otherwise the bobbin pulls the threads down into the mechanism and you get the mess.

     
  • At March 15, 2008 at 8:49 PM , Blogger Kathi in Idaho said...

    I find that on my Bernina it is imperative to have those threads headed toward the back through the presser foot before I take the first stitch. For some reason the Brother isn't as picky. Guess this is the reason that I started using what I refer to as a "spider" (a small piece of fabric) for the beginning and ending of each seam. By using that I rarely have thread tails at all except when the machine is first threaded.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home