WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, March 15, 2008

INTERNATIONAL Quilting Day

Although I'm sure it started with you guys in the US, National Quilting Day has gone International. Before I moved, I went to a number of events in the UK for IQD - they were great and well-subscribed. You can rely on quilters for good atmosphere, good planning and good cake!

Our quilt group in France organised a group quilt sew-in last year and invited people to join us for coffee and cake, and to try their hand at making a block. We were inundated with people (in fact, rather more than we had planned for). We finished the quilt afterwards and raffled it to raise funds for a charity and our group.

The on-line quilt group I belong to (it's a Yahoo group called BQL) is running a great bag challenge. A pattern a month and you have to post a photo of your finished bag before you can access the pattern for the next one. There's a bonus pattern just published, so I'll spend IQD making that, I think.

Sue in France

1 Comments:

  • At March 15, 2008 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    You're right, Sue, National Quilting Day started with the National Quilting Association, the US group that trains and certifies quilt show judges. I think it's been going on for over ten year now ... I'm too lazy to look it up but I'm sure someone could google the group and find the history of why the third Saturday in March is a quilter's "speical day". I tell my husband that it is almost as important as Mother's Day. He just smiles at me ... but I don't cook on NQD so I just smile right back. LOL

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home