WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, February 2, 2008

Featherweights

I, too, have heard about the musty odor from the Featherweight cases. It must be worse in some than in others. Over the years I have owned at least four different machines, each with its original case. They all had an 'aroma' of what I considered 'old suitcase', not objectional to me. Perhaps I've been fortunate not to have ever acquired one of the really 'musty' cases.

It is possible some of the problem may have been previous storage. Owners may have left them for long periods in damp basements or in cold closets. I'm old enough to remember houses where the closets were located on outer walls and when the home itself was not all that warm, the closets were cold and gathered moisture condensation on the exterior wall. Damp and cold produce mildew.

However, if there is no mildew present (how can you tell if there is black mildew in a black case? LOL), then Judy in Ohio may be correct about the glue used in the case construction and the kitty litter may do the trick. I've also heard about placing the case in a sunny area for some period but I don't think that means baking it in 110 desert heat. LOL. Or placing lumps of charcoal in the case for a period of time. And I've heard others mention storing a shoe 'odor eater' in the case. I save those little packets of dessicants and keep several in the tray of my case.

Anyway, Mary, congrats on owning a Featherweight 221. You will love sewing with this well-crafted sewing machine.

JudyPete

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home