WWQP Bulletin Board

Saturday, December 1, 2007

Some of My Grandmother's Sewing & Mending Items




This small glass cabinet holds some of my maternal grandmother's items from her sewing basket that I have never used but cherish nonetheless. The case has a mirror on the back so items are duplicated by reflection.

My grandmother (born in 1891) left school after the third grade to work in a glove factory to help support her family. My mother, her only daughter, inherited all of her "sewing stuff" and when my mother died all of her "sewing stuff" wound up in my sewing room. This cabinet holds my grandmother's sewing silks for mending silk hosiery in different colors, a soapstone pencil, a glove darning "egg stick" (two sizes of very small darning eggs on either end) and some needle cases. Plus over the years I have added some vintage sterling silver sewing accessories that I've picked up an antique shows. I have used my grandmother's thimbles on the rare occasions that I use a thimble. My mother's baby fork is in there as well as other small things like a six inch ruler from a dairy and the receipt from when my great-great-great grandfather bought a Singer V-2 treadle machine for my great-great-great grandmother. (No, I don't have the machine ... just the receipt for its purchase.)

Judy

1 Comments:

  • At December 4, 2007 at 9:08 AM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    Judy - what a lovely vignette. The cones of current thread on top don't add anything, however - maybe you could find another storage area?

    What wonderful treasures those are. Did you grandmother tat, too? I would think a silver tatting shuttle would be a nice addition.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home