WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, July 15, 2007



Pat in Rockport, you asked about the hand crank Singer that my DGGS sewed on the other day. Yes, it is a model 28. You said this particular decal deco was the "Ottoman Carnation" and I'm guessing this is a name that collectors have tacked onto the machine. Am I correct?

You can click on the photo to get a larger view. The decals on the handle match and it is original to the machine. If you look closely you will see that the machine has a layer of dust even though I dusted it before DGGS and I sat down to sew. (Laizeee Woman! LOL)

While it's been fun to play with I don't think I would care to have this be my ONLY machine. However, there are folk who live in remote parts of the world where electricity is not available and a handcrank would be much treasured. Wouldn't it be fun to know who first owned this as a "new" machine. It must have been beautiful in its newness and it must have been a treasure to some woman whose household depended upon her being able to sew garments for summer and winter for every person in the home. And quilts from the scraps.

JudyPete

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home