WWQP Bulletin Board

Friday, May 11, 2007

Quilters Dream

I'm using the thinnest Quilter's Dream for my current MQ project. It's a large quilt that is string pieced on muslin. Four six inch blocks sashed with light blue, then the bigger blocks sashed with dark blue. Because of the muslin foundation, the top itself is fairly heavy, so I wanted a batting that was really light.

This quilt is for my great-niece, who is getting married in July. She lives about 300 miles away (in another part of Texas) so I sent her email pictures of the three finished quilts that I have waiting to be wedding presents. But of course she chose the unfinished top. And since she said "I love it, I love it!, what could I do but try to finish it in time. I'm putting a free-form flower in each block (that's only 196 of them!) and then will add something to the sashing - but maybe just a squiggly line.

8 Comments:

  • At May 11, 2007 at 8:52 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, you'll love the thin batting. I made a bedspread size quilt and this batting is perfect for that use. The quilt is light and soft. I dislike the bulk of today's fluffy comforters, so am very happy I used the thin batt. BTW, your string quilt is simply lovely!!!
    JudyPete

     
  • At May 11, 2007 at 8:53 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, you'll love the thin batting. I made a bedspread size quilt and this batting is perfect for that use. The quilt is light and soft. I dislike the bulk of today's fluffy comforters, so am very happy I used the thin batt. BTW, your string quilt is simply lovely!!!
    JudyPete

     
  • At May 11, 2007 at 11:05 AM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    I can see why the niece would like that top over the others. I personally love it also. LONNA IN WI

     
  • At May 11, 2007 at 12:15 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Judy, I really like the sashing and then sashing again .... clever idea! I'm printing out a photo of this quilt and putting it in my "Good Ideas" notebook. Thanks for sharing.

    Judy

     
  • At May 11, 2007 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Marion in NZ. said...

    Just love that quilt ! Such a clever idea, the double sashing..

    Like your idea of a "Good ideas" notebook too Judy . Might take that on board...

     
  • At May 11, 2007 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Marion, my "Good Ideas" notebook is so full that I probably won't live long enough to stitch up everything that is in it .... but my daughter is a quiltmaker so I guess she will find it as part of her inheritance. :-)

    Judy

     
  • At May 12, 2007 at 9:23 AM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    The double sashing is an idea that I got from a book that I didn't purchase. And now can't remember title or author. I feel bad about not being able to credit her.

     
  • At May 12, 2007 at 2:13 PM , Blogger lonna in wi said...

    The double sashing, could it be from Edna Marston?? She was at out guild once and had a workshop. She has quilts that she showed that was done that way. It is a nice way to make a quilt of scraps. LONNA IN WI

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home