WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Vintage Fabric Sample Davidson Bros Company



I have a small stash of bits and pieces of vintage cotton fabrics. While picking through them yesterday I found these fabric samples with labels that read Davidson Bros Company. These are shirting fabrics and I know they are very early 1900s. If anyone can date them more accurately, let me know. They are very small pieces and I plan to use them to make a scrappy doll quilt similar to one I made for a quilting buddy several years ago. Davidson Bros Company was a family owned department store in Sioux City, Iowa during the very late 1800s and early 1900s. Their sales included catalog sales and I'm guessing these were sent out in the mail so the seamstress could select which fabrics she wished to order.

2 Comments:

  • At May 22, 2007 at 1:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    My family on my Mother's side owned Davidsons until 1948 when they sold it to Younkers. It was started in 1884. They built an Office building and developed a good portion of the residential housing. Check with the Sioux City Public Museum for mor info. Thanks, Eric

     
  • At November 7, 2007 at 11:07 AM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    If I remember correctly, the store was known at one time as Younker-Davidsons.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home