WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

An International Competition in 2008

When I posted the photo of my "Shattered Trellis" and mentioned I had sent it off to Australia as part of a guild's international show Lavinia asked how I had found out about the event. So I thought I would share another international competition that sounds interesting to me and it sounds relatively straightforward, too, even though I haven't read the rules yet. I found this one in a magazine I subscribe to, a publication called "Fabrications: Quilting For You" which claims to be the U.K.'s largest patchwork and quilting magazine.

Anyhow their advertisements for quilt shows are intriguing and I found one onlne: http://www.grosvenorexhibitions.co.uk/Quilt/Quilts-Autumn/Quilts-Autumn.html#Autumn%20Shows%20-%20Top

There is a Festival Challenge to be displayed at their National Championship in 2008 with the title of "A Explosion of Colour". That sounds like a yummy theme and the size is mentioned (24" x 24") which means it would be easy to mail overseas. I guess any one who is interested can email the editor of Fabrications for an entry form. Yes, her name is Emma Cooling and her email address is at the bottom of the advertisement at the URL I posted above.

Sometimes competitions have themes that make me scratch my head ..... "The Glory of Nature" or "Happy Days" or "Seasons of Life" ..... but an explosion of colour sort of rings my chimes. Must be because I can envision the mess of fabrics on my sewing table ..... LOL

Judy

3 Comments:

  • At April 26, 2007 at 4:07 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Thanks for posting that URL. Was just wondering about it all, I don't do competition as there are too many quilts above and beyond my meager efforts.You mentioned themes and the Asheville theme this year is Seasons. Oddly you mentioned Seasons of Life, and that had been my first thought, but I don't have the expertise to put into fabric what was in my old, addled brain (smile). But I am sending Appalachian Spring~To God be the Glory and we'll see what happens. Thanks again. Lavinia-TN

     
  • At April 26, 2007 at 9:09 PM , Blogger Jane in NC said...

    I logged onto the site you listed and it only showed a one page promotion of the quilt show. It announces in near microscopic type the competition but not a way to contact the magazine. when I googled the magazine I came up with all kinds of sites that mentioned the magazine but not the magazine itself. Please post the Fabrications Magazine email and web site url. I'm getting psyched for this.

    Jane

     
  • At April 27, 2007 at 6:44 AM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Jane, on that one page promotion of the quilt show there is a colorful map near the bottom. Just above the colorful map there's a black band with white font in it and in that black band area there is the email address of the editor of Fabrications magazine. As best as I could figure out she's the person to contact regarding the "Explosion of Colour" entry form and so I sent an email to her at emma.cooling@btconnect.com

    I asked her to email the entry form to me or to send it via regular mail and I have not heard back from her yet.

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home