WWQP Bulletin Board

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Biscuit Quilt


It's been a while since this discussion, but I ran across a feature in QNM Nov-Dec/83. It is "Gleanings from Aunt Laura's Scrap Book" and is dated May 26, 1934 in The Rural New Yorker. In part, it says, "...Some time ago, an illustrated article in a magazine gave me courage to undertake what may develop into a life work-the making of a silk "biscuit quilt." For the foundation squares, two inches in size, I am using sugar bags, washed, pressed and cut to thread. The silk pieces are 2-1/2 inches square, and are run on to the smalller squares with a little tuck or plait in the middle of each side to make the necessary puff. A bit of cotton batting is tucked inside each squre before the forth side is sewn. ... Dorothy Porter." It is possible this technique may be older than this date. Considering how we quilters give everything our own variation according to what we have available, I am sure it has evolved over time. Somewhere in the deep dark recesses of my mind I think I have also seen this done in DPolyester double knit (the designation for D depends on your fondness or lack there of for polyester double knit).
If you tilt your head sideways you can see a small churn dash quilt I made from old feedsacks - that is assuming I was successful with my picture post. Baby steps.
March 13

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home