WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, November 8, 2010

Step by Step

This morning I laid the 4-Patch Shirt Quilt out on the living room floor and enlisted the aid of bottled cranberry juice, some marble bookends, an old Native American grinding bowl and a couple cans of fruit to hold it down.

I had pre-rinsed the Hobbs 80/20 batt and it was dry and ready to roll out. You can't see it here but the backing is what's left of two Calvin Klein 100 percent cotton sheets that I got on sale 80 percent off a couple years ago. I had already used them on two twin size quilts and had to piece the remnants to make a back for this one. (I love our south windows in the fall and winter...the sun streams in and makes the room feel so cozy!)

In my early quilting years, sheets were not recommended because they were a pretty tightly woven fabric that was difficult to needle if you were hand-quilting. However, today's cotton sheets are softer and I've used them successfully on several quilts.

When doing meandering as I am on this quilt, I begin the machine quilting in the center and work to one edge, quilting an area a couple feet wide. When I get that swath quilted to the border I turn the quilt 180 degrees, begin at the center again and work to the opposite side. Then I turn the quilt 90 degrees, go to the center, and quilt to the sides. Then I fill in the corner areas.

Leona (as I have named my Singer 201) does an admirable job of quilting. It has a knob underneath with which I can lower the feeddogs. The plastic darning foot that I purchased several years ago has quilted many a quilt and is still working well.

This quilt is a very large twin or could be used as a full. If I am working on a queen, I roll the side that is under the arm. It's difficult but not impossible. Wearing the garden gloves is a tremendous help in holding and moving the quilt.

If I am using a design that is repeated in the blocks, I just bunch the quilt up however is necessary in order to work each block. My pin basting seems to hold things pretty well in place. (I place the pins about 6 inches apart...maybe a little more if I'm running out of pins.)

This quilt is entirely recycled shirt fabrics.

Well, am I embarrassed. Doris in TN kindly observed in her comment that this machine is a Singer 15-91 which is quite obvious because of the tension being on the faceplate and not on the side of the machine facing the seamstress. I really DO have a 201...it is sitting on a shelf in the basement and it looks very similar to the 15-91...except for the position of the tension knobs.

8 Comments:

  • At November 9, 2010 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Sara in Florida said...

    Well, I'm totally in awe of you.
    First, the little blocks that match perfectly, then mach. quilting with your singer. There should be some sort of "recycling" award you could win for this quilt.
    Wonderful!
    Sara in Fla.

     
  • At November 9, 2010 at 3:54 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Why do you have that scrap of fabric over the spindle that holds your spool for bobbin winding?

     
  • At November 10, 2010 at 2:51 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Judy, the answer to your question is an easy one. I usually keep it atop the machine under the spool so the spool doesn't abrade the shiny black finish. But I moved it to the spindle at the bottom when I rewound bobbins (for the same purpose) and forgot to replace it.

    However...after the photo...I did replace it atop the machine. There was originally a red felt circle that sat under the spool but I lost it somewhere and don't have felt on hand to make a new one.

    You are an observant lady. lol

     
  • At November 14, 2010 at 11:04 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    I love(!) your fabrics.

    Are you sure that machine is a 201? It looks more like a 15-91 to me, with the upper tension settings on the face plate and light in the back.

     
  • At November 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM , Blogger WhiteStone said...

    Doris, you are right!
    I'll blame it on my chemo brain.
    My 201 is on a shelf in the basement. Both are great machines. But this one is definitely a 15-91.
    What a ditz I am! roflol

     
  • At November 15, 2010 at 6:58 PM , Blogger Doris W. in TN said...

    Ack. Chemo brain. You definitely will not be held responsible.
    ;o)

     
  • At November 23, 2010 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    Loved the pictures! I've never attempted quilting as you've done so appreciated seeing how one could actually do it. Thanks!
    Mary in Oregon

     
  • At December 10, 2010 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Debby said...

    I loved the picture of the quilt on the floor - mind usually is held down by a fat cat in the middle!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home