WWQP Bulletin Board

Thursday, March 4, 2010

NY BEAUTY PAPER PIECE

Judy, you have done something spectacular. I don't think you want the quilting to overwhelm the incredible piecing so opt for conservative. JMHO. As a native of NY I've been disappointed in the past with the state block but you've shown me what can be done with it. For now, however, I'll stick with Carolina Lilly.

Re: paper piecing. I've not enjoyed it the few times I've done it because of the hassle of removing the paper. Just yesterday I tried something new. Using Lightweight Stitch & Tear Pellum I traced the paper piece pattern onto it and then used the pellum for piecing. Haven't removed the pellum as this block is for a block drawing at a conference I'm attending next weekend and they asked that the pellum be left for obvious reasons. The idea is not original with me as it was included with the directions for the block. The lucky winner will have everything the same size with 90* in each corner. The outer edges of this block are bias so that's another good reason to leave the pellum on until the quilt is put together.

I think that somewhere in my vast collection of impulsively purchased stuff there is such a thing as wash away stabilizer for embroidery so why not use that? Just thinking in print as opposed to out loud. When I finished the easy block yesterday I suddenly remembered all those pretty paper piecing patterns I bought ten years ago and are in the back of a drawer somewhere. Hmmm. I'm inspired but have to finish the wedding quilt first. I'll never do another king sized quilt again. I'm bored with it.

Jane in STILL AND FOREVER SNOWY NC-----ARRRGH

PS spell check doesn't like pellum and offers no alternative, ignorant jerks.

1 Comments:

  • At March 4, 2010 at 6:46 PM , Blogger Judy in Ohio said...

    Thank you Jane. Spell check does not like the word Pellon either (it is a brand name) but you could teach your personal computer the word Pellon because that's what it really is. Just ask the folks at http://www.pellonideas.com/

    Can't teach this silly blogger to recognize it, though.

    I think I will opt for minimal quilting in widely spaced areas. My thinking is that if I quilt too much then I might create something that becomes puckery and since I am using metallic thread I don't want to have to unstitch metallic puckers.

    It's been fun watching your thinking process ...

    Judy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home