WWQP Bulletin Board

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Thread?

A question of threads. I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but would like a refresher class in thread.
I had been using 100% cotton to sew my pieces together, on the machine. Also insisited on 100% cotton to do any MQ that I did.
Now I'm told by a local long arm quilter that they do not use 100% cotton, as it has too much lint. They use cross wound thread that is about 70% poly and 30% cotton.
Would the Coats and Clark thread that is not cross wound be the problem with my thread breaking? Is it the winding on the spool that is more important, or is the fiber content more important?
Or is it the cheaper thread ( Coats and Clark ) have more lint, and be the problem and I should use a different brand?
Most of my quilts are MQ and machine pieced.
I'd appreciate anyone's answers. My poor over 50 brain knows that this was discussed many times, but don't remember the answer.
Sara, still sweating in Fla.

3 Comments:

  • At September 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM , Blogger jdb in AZ said...

    Choice of thread is a matter of opinion and personal preference, and you'll get as many different opinions as there are brands of thread. My machine dealer says Coats & Clark's has too much lint and recommends Mettler. Other dealers recommend Aurifil, my personal favorite. It's not cheap, but there's a lot of thread on the spools because it's so fine. Even with the fine thread, it's a good idea to clean out the lint (from fabric, batting) every time you empty a bobbin.

    Thread content is another topic for discussion. Some say that polyester is too strong for the cotton fabric, tho I've never had any problem with it.

    As for cross-wound thread vs circular, it depends on whether the thread holder on your machine is vertical or horizontal. On my machine, the horizontal holder was designed for cross-wound thread, while circular-wound threads belong on the vertical holder.

    Your thread breakage could be due to your machine's tension, using too small of a needle, or even thread that's too old.

    SeamSTRESS Sally

     
  • At September 12, 2007 at 3:25 PM , Blogger Linda in AZ said...

    I get a newsletter each month from Superior Threads and the Sept newsletter covered all kinds of threads. If you want to read it go to the site http://www.superiorthreads.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=385&Itemid=264
    That will give you more information then you ever dreamed about different kinds of threads.
    Happy Quilting,

    Linda in AZ (where it is still very hot so you might as well quilt in the AC)

     
  • At September 13, 2007 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Ditto going to the Superior threads website. Also I found Mettler linted more than C&C. But now have discovered Presencia which seems lintless. Our dealer now got rid of all the Mettler.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home