WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, September 9, 2007

GLOOM IN SEWING ROOM

Funny you should bring up the subject of the light on the rotary cutter. I found the ideal lighting for mine. I have the indoor "spot light" conical shaped receptacles in the ceiling of my quilt room as well as two Sola tubes which contain lights for night. I found the usual incandescent lights dismally yellow and was discouraged until walking through Wal-Mart one day I saw "daylight" long lasting fluorescent bulbs for such fixtures. I was in hog heaven and later bought the few that were remaining on the shelf. They cost $8.50 each but when one considers the cost savings over 5,000 hours of use that's pretty good. Next time I looked for them they were no where to be seen. I searched the inter net numerous times and finally found a dealer for the maker, Lights of America. While I couldn't find what I wanted on the mfr. site. I found them at a dealership out west and ordered a dozen of them. They now light my kitchen like high noon with no glare and the same for a dark hallway where I hang quilts. Their only drawback is that they don't work with a rheostat so I've left the dreary yellow ones in the living room and bedrooms. This same company also has the more common type spiral fluorsecents for lamps and I have one in the sewing room which I installed when I couldn't get the ones shaped for the receptacle in which I needed it. That works just fine. What a world of difference for these old eyes. I also have such bulbs in my reading lights.

Well, I'm ready to start, once again, to put the twins' rag quilts together. I had miscalculated the number of blocks needed for pillow tucks so had to make a bunch more. This allowed me to balance out the color more to my liking. I stopped to do a charity quilt for head start and will try to get that done today to hand it in at the meeting tomorrow. We have delivered 100 quilts to head start just this year and many to the hospital in Franklin and to a place called Kid's Place which set up to provide appropriately sensitive treatment and examination for children alleged to have been abused. Sadly this often involves a gyn exam of very young kids up through adolescents. We make a variety of sizes of quilts for the kids to use during their exams instead of those nasty disposable paper one we ladies are all familiar with. The kid then keeps the quilt. Unfortunately there is no equivalent that I know of in my county. Shame on Jackson County.

Hmmm, the county manager is a neighbor and good friend of mine. He's done magic for this county with no tax increases. I think I'll put a bee in his bonnet. Cher, I haven't seen your name on the board in several years. Still doing chickens?

Jane in the dry western part of NC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home