WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, June 11, 2007

waxing and waning

Hmm, reminds me that I need to do something with my legs.

Dear JudyPete,
I loved your post and felt a kinship. My mind sometimes goes off on thoughts like that. Regarding quilting, I agree in that I feel the younger craft people are drifting towards things other than quilting. But I also feel the quilting interest will go through another increase in the future. I think most hobbies or interests come and go a bit.

For myself, I sometimes feel strongly drawn towards quilting, sewing, etc. This time of year, though, there are so many other things that I want to see and do that quilting goes on the back burner. I still try to plan my summer around the Sisters Quilt Show and maybe go to one or two other shows a year. I've never been one to do a lot of shows. I loved my two times in Houston but haven't managed going to Paducah yet.

I don't belong to at guild either. That does limit my knowledge in a lot of ways. I chose not to join one when I retired for many reasons. But I always enjoy meeting with other quilters. I think being around the energy of others can help a person keep focused.

I am presently thinning out my stash as all at once it felt like a huge weight on me. The type of quilts I presently make doesn't seem to fit with the stash. For now, I'll buy for specific projects rather than pick up random bits and pieces. (Well, that is my goal. We'll see how it goes when I get into a store full of lovelies!!! LOL!) It feels good to be able to find new homes for some of the fabric and know things will finally be used.

I agree with the costs of fabric and supplies. That inhibits me a bit. But when I see the work of Australian quilters where I know fabric costs are even higher, I'm impressed with what the Aussie quilters do. It's inspiring to know there are people all over the world who still quilt even when the monetary costs might be rather high. That helps me keep going as I know others seem to manage so I can as well. :-)

I think quilting is like any other part of life. We have times when something might consume us, times when we feel something might overly consume others and then balance returns which brings one's normal lack of judgement of ourselves and others.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hope everyone has a great week!

Hugs to those who need them,
Mary in Oregon

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home