WWQP Bulletin Board

Monday, February 12, 2007

this and that/web site for searching ancestors?

OK, I didn't wear the baggy sweat pants to Wal-Mart on Sunday evening, in case anyone cares.
I took a look in the mirror, and decided that I looked like the "before" person in the Fly Lady web site. Put on the jeans, even though they were a bit tight. Got to lay off those Valentine M & M's.
The quick trip quilt top is coming together nicely. Since I finished the 1/2 in class, the second 1/2 is much easier. Doing laundry, etc. this morning, and sitting at the sewing machine in 30 min. sections.
We did walk 2 miles this morning, and am trying to recover from the weekend.
I'm sure some of you have done some research on the ancestors, esp. those in the U.S. and Canada. Do you know of a web site or two that I could go to for a beginner? Since I want so much to go to Ireland, want to do some research on DH's and my great-grands who most likely came here during the potato famine. My Mom's father's side of the family were Denny, and were farmers in western S. C. area.
OK, back to "stuff".
Hope you in Canada and northern U.S. are staying warm under some winter quilts.
Sara in Fla.

4 Comments:

  • At February 12, 2007 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Beth in TN said...

    Sara, just be sure that if you get as far as going to Ireland to trace your ancestors that you have things pinpointed EXACTLY--by that I mean know the exact parish's records that you want to see--name, date, etc. My brother went to Ireland to do family genealogy and discovered that they don't share the same kind of open records searches that we do; he couldn't get anywhere on the family tree because he didn't know enough to know which records to seek out. They don't just let you thumb through things I guess (or at least, this was the way things were several years ago...) Just a precautionary note!

     
  • At February 13, 2007 at 3:34 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Well I tried to post a comment but it isn't showing up. Lavinia

     
  • At February 13, 2007 at 3:36 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Best sites online are Cyndi's list think it is www.cyndislist.com not sure, and Roots Web. Also go to my old web site www.members.tripod.com/tnquiltr (no e in quiltr)and click on genealogy there's a link to Irish I think. Also from there you can email me direct and I'll try to help you. Lavinia who hopes this posts this time.

     
  • At February 13, 2007 at 10:03 AM , Blogger QM Judy said...

    I was intrigued by your reference to the Fly Lady, so I looked her up. What a fun site. Guess I'll get up and do my dishes and shine my sink...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home