WWQP Bulletin Board

Sunday, January 28, 2007

My Desert Island Quilt




Since we are now at a site where we can post photographs of ourselves, our pets and our quilts I would like to propose an ongoing "thread" that could pop up from time to time. We now have a chance to share our quilts we consider our best efforts.

Maybe you've seen places where people list what books they would take with them to a desert island or what famous people (living or dead) they would like to invite to dinner. I would like to suggest a topic of "What one quilt would you take with you if your house was burning down or if you were banished to a desert island?" The "House Burning Down Quilt" doesn't sound like a pleasant theme so "Desert Island Quilt" is a better choice. :-)

The quilt I would rescue or carry off to the island is "Indian Orange Peel", a foundation pieced pattern designed by Karen K. Stone. It took me ten months to make and I used over 170 fabrics in it. The color choices reflect the colors in my clothes closet. My hands were still in reasonably good condition when I made this (about ten years ago) and so I added some circles of vintage buttons in a few places. It hangs in a hallway between bedroom doors in our house and I see it each and every day .... and it still makes me smile even after all these years.

Judy

4 Comments:

  • At January 28, 2007 at 12:01 PM , Blogger Helen V said...

    First, Judy, let me say that your quilt is magnificent! What a work of art it is.

    Guess I would have to say a comfort quilt, actually two. They were made from blocks from the BB when my mom died and when DH had his brain surgeries.

    I thought of some of the other quilts I have made; the Hawaiian applique' that was my first endeavor at hand quilting and needleturn applique'. Took somewhere between 350 and 400 hours, 5 or 6 months, and it's only 48" X 72". I thought of the mariner's compass king-sized quilt I made. Bought a Jinny Beyer book on drafting patterns because I couldn't find a compass big enough for the middle of the top. This was before paper-piecing and I really dislike templates but, that was the only way to do it then.

    Still have to go with the comfort quilts though. The others can always be done again, maybe with slightly different colors or farics, but, those comfort quilts could never be duplicated. There is no way to duplicate the love and time those ladies put into those blocks.

    Helen

     
  • At January 28, 2007 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Celia in NB said...

    That is a beautiful quilt Judy. I really like the colour combinations and the 3-D effect. Did you MQ it?

    My Desert Island Quilt would be "Hearts for Stacie" that I made for my DD's 25th birthday 5 years ago. It was my very first PPed quilt from a scrappy heart block on Carol Doak's Foundation Factory CD. But first, I would have to go to her house and snipe it back from her when she wasn't looking! I will post a pic once I figure out how to do. I really love this new format too.

    Hi Helen, great to see you joined too!

    Celia in NB

     
  • At January 28, 2007 at 1:15 PM , Blogger Mary in Oregon said...

    What an absolutely beautiful quilt! Thank you for sharing.
    Mary in Oregon

     
  • At January 29, 2007 at 6:43 AM , Blogger Lavinia said...

    Wow what a fantastic job you did! Guess I'll have to make myself a quilt, don't have anything I've made to take to an island with me, LOL. Lavinia-TN

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home